There are countless approaches you can use to bring a comforting sense of timeless beauty to your home. Follow these steps whenever you need to choose home decor and you will be well on your way to creating a timeless space.Read More
Designing and decorating a space is always an incredibly exciting and rewarding time of life. Choosing colours, fabrics, dreaming about the new use of space…it’s all so much fun that as customers we can forget to cover one of the most important areas – establishing a budget.
Sometimes a budget that you live with and getting everything you want can be a tall order, but with careful consideration any budget can be worked with to create picture perfect results. Budgeting can be a difficult topic to discuss, because it can be fraught with emotion. If a decorator knows your budget they can make well informed decisions to save you time and money. Knowing your budget is always the way to go, as it avoids misunderstandings later on down the line. Fewer misunderstandings equal less stress, which we always strive for.
Decorating should be fun, right? Unfortunately, when you decorate there are a few traps that you can fall into. One trap is being really unrealistic about costs. This is where your research becomes important. Familiarize yourself with what items cost today. Many people haven’t done any decorating for many years, or they have never worked with a designer. Some people have champagne tastes on a beer budget, so they need to think outside the box to provide the environment that they are looking for at a reasonable price. Having a realistic budget will make your decorating experience a joy. At Buy the Yard Interiors in Ancaster we are happy to help you with any questions about this part of the design process.
Yes, it’s true—wallpaper is back and better than ever! But if the very word evokes images of your grandmother’s walls covered in busy, retro flowers and psychedelic globs, then it’s time you checked out how designers are using this versatile wall treatment option to infuse style, chic and distinction to today’s interiors.
Modern wallpapers are affordable, easier to use than their predecessors and packed with the power to make decorating statements that range from bold and dramatic to quiet and elegant. Many contemporary wallpapers bring a modern twist to time-tested classics—botanicals, intricate damask patterns, stripes and geometrics, all in updated colour palettes, designs and textures. You can take the plunge and paper an entire room, or step gradually into the experience by using it only in smaller areas.
Consider just a few of the many popular options today:
- Large patterns—Whether your taste runs to fast-forward geometrics or exotic lotus flowers, plan large patterns carefully. In many cases, bold designs are better confined to accent walls and powder rooms or used tone-on-tone to control their impact and avoid overwhelming the room.
- Textured designs—Flocked, embossed or textured papers add dimension and interest to a room without necessarily adding extra colour. Some textures are also paintable, allowing you to customize the paper to your current colour scheme.
- Classic designs—Stripes in the latest colour palettes are a timeless way to add instant chic. Or for a soft, romantic look, nothing beats wispy florals or vines set amidst updated colour themes. If you want to transform plain walls, wallpaper is one way to add colour and style, often with greater versatility that paint alone can achieve.
Consult with an experienced design professional who can help you plan where, how much and what kind of wallpaper is best for your interiors. Buy The Yard Interiors provides expert consulting and custom products to beautify your home and office with window fashions, furniture and decorative accents. Please call us at 905-648-7979.
In part 1 of our article on home accessorizing tips, we discussed design principles for accenting horizontal surfaces such as mantels and tabletops. This time, we’re focusing on vertical surfaces, the most spacious of which are the walls. Whether yours are large or small, there are plenty of decorating ideas that you can use to create interest and add style.
Many of the same principles for decorating horizontal surfaces apply equally to vertical surfaces. Remember that your main goal is to achieve an effectively balanced theme using the elements of colour, size, texture and depth. Here are a few suggestions:
- Pictures and artwork provide endless opportunities for jazzing up a plain wall. If you have a single, spectacular piece, place it by itself to create a focal point inside the room.
- Smaller pieces are also very effective when clustered together into a mini gallery on a single wall. Aim to create a pleasing balance with frames of varying sizes, shapes and weights.
- Mirrors are not only attractive, but they also have the power to alter your perception of a room’s dimensions and lighting.
- A grouping of smaller mirrors can help reflect light to brighten up a dark space. A large, door-sized mirror inside a spacious room can add drama and create the illusion of increased expansiveness. For effective balance, make sure to scale the mirror to the size of the room.
Texture is a greatly underused design element, but one which imparts dimension and visual interest to a room no matter what the colour scheme. Picture a bronze or metal sculpture adjacent to a fireplace, or a brocade wall tapestry behind a hallway accent table. Whatever accents you choose, remember to build them around the colour theme and proportions of the room and its furnishings. If your accent also serves as a functional item, such as a reading lamp, make sure that its height and colour don’t interfere with effective use of the item’s usefulness.
For more information on expert consulting and custom products to beautify your home, please call us at 905-648-7979.
How often have you shopped for design items and settled for second best, or worse yet, completely wasted your money on items that never fit the bill or felt right in your space? Our experienced interior decorators, led by owner Anne Smith, will assist you in picking out décor that expresses your personality perfectly, while fitting in with your schedule and budget.Read More